Thursday, November 14, 2013

soothers & saviors

This past week my body has been throwing a rager. It has been drinking (hot tea) like crazy, covering all possible surfaces with (tissue) confetti, and the (mucous) fluids have been flowing freely without signs of stopping. Cold season! Blech, can't we just skip over this part of the year? Apparently my body doesn't like missing out on all the fun. Raw skin around the nose, chapped lips, dehydrated/sensitive skin; being sick is no picnic! Luckily I've come across some soothers and saviors this week to help me get by and zip through this illness.

DSC_0657

Right so let's talk skin. I have been using Pai Camellia and Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser with the provided muslin cloth and it has made my skin feel so incredibly soothed and nourished. The muslin cloth that comes with is really brilliant, can I get more of these? Possibly a whole package or 5? I must find out because I love how gentle yet effective it is. The cleanser itself is a cream that is very hydrating and leaves my skin feeling exceptionally soft. It rinses off easily and doesn't give that dried out squeaky clean feeling.

I have been using two toners lately. Yes both. In a row, right after the other. First I apply Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner to help renew chafed skin gently without any stinging or added irritation. Then I apply Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner to add in extra moisture to placate my sensitive skin. It seems a bit excessive but I have noticed this has prevented any redness from sticking around.

Did you know humans get chapped lips because we have no sebaceous or sweat glands there? Spit glands are all we got and that stuff is drying and harsh as heck. It does partially digest your food after all! My sister had been raving about how heavy duty Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment was and I initially scoffed at it. These lips do not warrant any glorified Vaseline to touch them. But I was in a pinch and applied some to my pout randomly and dear lord this glorified vaseline blew my mind. Heals up lips quickly, hydrates for hours, plumps up and softens. Best of all, it doesn't leave that weird icky white lip ring in the end. Begrudgingly accepting this as supremely effective, even if it doesn't tingle or taste very fun. At least it doesn't taste like that blasted Carmex crap.

As for inner health, I have been drinking hot tea like there's no tomorrow. Jasmine tea, white tea, pu-erh tea (no idea how you pronounce this), you name it. Nothing soothes the soul (and throat) like some good ole piping hot tea.

What are your cold remedies? Any saviors and soothers that should be added to my routine? And, random, but how hot do you like your beverages? I like my tea extra steaming hot. Once it starts to cool down to a warm temperature I start to lose interest and have to heat it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment