Friday, June 28, 2013

my festival/hot weather face & bonnaroo experience

Two weeks ago I flew off down South to Manchester, Tennessee to attend the Bonnaroo Music Festival. I had never heard of this festival until my cousin urged for me and my sister to go with her. I'm always down for an adventure that deals with sun, entertainment, and food so naturally I agreed.

DSC_9605

So what did I bring for my makeup? Well I knew ahead of time a few things before we headed off: 1. We were camping in tents 2. Southern heat can be brutal and 3. Running water would be difficult to get to. I initially had plans to wear a bit of eye shadow, mascara, and a little eyeliner smudged in my lash line. After the first sweltering day I ditched eye makeup completely for the rest of the trip and stuck to only the face makeup and balm you see pictured above, mostly for the SPF protection and added coverage of the makeup.

For my base I applied the Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 with my fingers. I bought this right before my trip because I heard great things about its SPF coverage and lasting power during the heat. I plan to continue testing this out during the summer weather so I will do a full review soon, don't fret. For powder I buffed on Maybelline Dream Matte Powder with my Eco Tools Powder Brush as it is cheap and takes away shine sufficiently. I finished off with a swirl of the Estee Lauder Sea Star Bronzing Blush with my very battered MAC 109 as it worked as a bronzer and blush all at once. I finished off with a quick curl of my lashes with the Shu Uemura Curlers and a swipe of Fresh Sugar Rose Balm for a nice rosy SPF filled tint.

As for the event itself, I took some pictures to share with you all!

IMG_2562-horz
OPI Cajun Shrimp + OPI Glitzerland & Sephora Only Gold For Me mani // Cousin & me on the shuttle to the festival.

IMG_2572
Food truck area. I didn't try anything!

IMG_2583-horz
The popular Spicy Pizza // Clever Dad? graffiti

photo (2)-horz
F21 hat and sunnies that saved my life // Only a glimpse of the crowd

IMG_2574-horz
Citrusy brews // Mushroom fountain that also saved our lives

IMG_2580
Morning yoga!

IMG_2578
Strange paper mâché butt holding men

IMG_2581
Bonnaroo arch at night

A FEW THOUGHTS:

+ There are a LOT of people that go to this festival. I believe I read there were around 80,000 people per day on the grounds. Be prepared to wait in long lines and not have any space to yourself.
+ The people that attend are very open and nice. There is an unspoken rule of don't steal/be shady and if you have things to share, share it!
+ There is also an unspoken rule of no judging/be a free spirit. I saw a lot of topless girls, people acting bananas, etc
+ Southern heat is no joke. We all rigorously applied sunblock with a high SPF but we still got burned. Luckily my face was well protected with my Shiseido, floppy hat, and sunglasses!
+ The food was mediocre at best. I heard raves about the spicy pizza and the grilled cheese. I only tried the pizza since PIZZA IS MY SOUL and it was just ok. Nothing I would tell you to go rush out and try, if you could.
+ The mushroom fountain was such a relief from the heat. Glad it was there for people to enjoy all day!

All in all I had a good time but I won't be returning. It was too crowded, too hot, and I hate tent camping with no facilities. I saw some great artists, my favorites being Porter Robinson, Paul McCartney, and Pretty Lights. There were other performances I wanted to see like Of Monsters and Men, The Lumineers, and The XX but it was too crowded for me to even see the stage. I'm also disappointed that I fell asleep from sun exhaustion for Jack Johnson! I got to hear him do sound check at least and he sounded amazing.

I recommend this festival if you are a die hard fan of the music (I am not, at least not for this genre), like peaceful and giving people, and don't mind roughing it for the weekend. I got a bit cranky with the "down with mainstream" and "I've heard of this band way before you" attitude towards the end but it was nothing that ruined my entire trip. Just different minds all in the same place.

No comments:

Post a Comment