Saturday, January 19, 2013

shades of pink: why I don't indulge in spring collections

So I think everyone who has followed me by now has gathered that I have a blush problem. Out of all cosmetics, blush is definitely the most dominate section in my collection and my greatest weakness. Seriously, it takes up half my makeup drawer (perhaps I will do a post on my organization, would you all like that?)

pinkblushes

With that being said, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I have just about every shade of pink blush you can imagine. For this reason, every spring I don't indulge in purchasing the always-some-sort-of-pink blush in spring collections. I certainly pay attention to what comes out, oo and ahh at the pretty shades, but then the practical part of me gently reminds the stubborn/illogical part of me that I already have something similar in my drawer (that practical side is a buzz kill, let me tell you). Here are just a handful of shades in my collection that have stopped me from spending carelessly:

THE BRIGHT PINKS
catalinaangelikadesire(L to R) CARGO CATALINA, NARS ANGELIKA, NARS DESIRE

This type of pink pops up in spring collections most likely because it is very eye catching. They are bright, pigmented, and make the promo model's complexion look fresh and healthy. Out of my three shades, NARS Angelika has the unique quality of having chunky silver glitter (not a good unique quality, in my opinion) but the actual pink color is very similar to what is seen in spring collections. NARS Desire has made me turn down purchasing many shades but I am not too heartbroken over this since it gets a lot of love from me. CARGO Catalina is a rather new addition to my collection, but nonetheless, girly bubblegum pink is easy to wear and popular. Some pinks I have resisted in buying in this category would be Dior Rosy Glow and Bobbi Brown Apricot.

THE STAINS/CREAMS
cadaquespinkraspposey(L to R)NARS CADAQUES, BOBBI BROWN PINK RASPBERRY, MAC POSEY

One of my favorite things about blush is that it comes in so many different textures like creams and stains. I tend to avoid stains due to my scarred skin type. Because of its sheer and thin texture, the only stain-like product for cheeks that I own are the Nars Multiple Tints. The shade shown here is Cadaques. It looks very pigmented in the tube but swiped on the skin it is sheer and breathable. This multiple tint has deferred me from buying products like Benefit's Posie Tint, which seems too permeable for me.

As for cream blush, Bobbi Brown's Pink Raspberry Pot Rouge and MAC's Posey (old formulation) both keep me in check from buying petal pinks. I have turned down Illamasqua Dixie because of the similarity.

THE BOLD PINKS
xratedkeylargo(L to R) ROCK & REPUBLIC X-RATED, CARGO KEY LARGO

The bolder pinks tend to show up in spring collections to tie in a floral theme. Rock & Republic's X-rated is a scarce item to find and isn't available anymore. Perhaps MAC Azalea or Rhubarb are similar. Too bad it is so rare as the shade is gorgeous and the longevity is unbelievable. The only gripe I have about Rock & Republic blushes is their texture; it is not the easiest to blend. CARGO Key Largo is a nice watermelon shade that imparts a very romantic look. This category of pink is the most recent area that I have had to keep myself in check since the just released Burberry Hydrangea Pink caught my eye. I have a sneaking suspicion that is it very similar to Key Largo.

Shades of pink come in so many tones, I didn't even get into the mauve pinks and the baby pinks or even the berry pinks. Recalling what I own already has saved me from unneeded purchases but a blush fiend like me can't help but give lingering looks to shiny, new collections. For those who picked up Burberry's new addition, consider me jealous :)

No comments:

Post a Comment